Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Round 1 of 8 is DONE!

















The anticipation of starting chemo is finally over and I made it through the first round. Dave came down with a cold and wasn't able to make it to my first round so Laura was my chemo partner/cheerleader at Moffitt for the day. I think it worked out best being there with someone who, unfortunately, knows the process first hand.  TY LAURA! Laura and Rich surprised me when they showed up as Rich was in his Pink Heals bunker gear! He was a huge hit and put a smile on so many faces! I felt special for sure! They also brought roses, a poster from Tatum, gifts, and a hug from Noah.  They took it to the top and I am sure it made this first round easier.

Blood work started at about 8:30 then I had appointment with my Oncologist. I think I got into infusion at about 11:30 and lasted about 3 hours.  So it's a long day! With all the anticipation of the unknown makes it seem like you are just walking around on another planet.



Laura said I handled my first round like a champ but I give all the credit to my supporters out there. I truly have some of the best support a woman could ask for.  We also got suckered into doing a stress relieve session in the waiting area that was strange but it worked....I think!  Here on the right is a picture of Laura and as you can see we were "bag ladies"! We had so much stuff!! It looked like we were moving into Moffitt.


This picture to the right is me getting the drug they call "Red Devil" or doxorubicin (see, it's red and it will make you pee red too!). The nurse has to sit there and pump it in manually.  It causes necrosis if administered too quickly so they won't use the drip to deliver it. Prior to this they pumped my up with a couple other meds, including anti-nausea, which is awesome!  Then I took Cyclophosphamide through the drip. It took about 3 hours once I got back there and then went home to relax. Honestly I felt like a champion when I left, as if I could be productive.  But that changed a few hours later and I felt WEIRD!

After doing a few things around the house when I got home I started feeling fatigued and full of strange feelings.  I don't know how to explain them to people that haven't had treatment before. You just feel like shit, honestly! But I have meds that help with how I feel and eventually was able to fall asleep around midnight! Then in the morning I had the feeling like you get from a long weekend of drinking with your friends minus the fun. It was similar to an awful hangover.

Lucky for me I have some great dogs that just want to cuddle when they know you need it!! I had my Hunter (bestest black lab ever) and Pumpkin (awesome dogo girl). You gotta love how dogs just know when you're not right.







Randomly throughout the week I get things that really cheer me up from family and friends.  They seem to come at a time when I may be feeling down and it's really sweet. I like to do the same for others but I really need to step up my game knowing now how much it does mean to be on the receiving end. Below is just one of many cards that two sweet girls that belong to a great old friend of mine. Notice in this one they gave me a pink streak in my hair, gotta love them!





We expect our family and friends to help and mine have gone above and beyond to show me their support and I GREATLY appreciate it!  I also appreciate all the contact from friends I haven't talked to in years. It's good to know that no matter the distance, friends are always friends.  This hasn't been easy and I hear a lot of you tell me that they find me to be so strong and inspiring.  I find this very flattering and unexpected! I just hope that we all understand that just because someone is strong, it doesn't mean that this comes easy for them. We all have our battles and for me I just have a new one to fight so I can get my life back!




4 comments:

  1. Red Devil SUCKS but its all worth it in the end. Gotta fight the good fight! Your doing great! Lean on your support team they need to be needed. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so!! I can't wait for this to be over. Just one round done and it's not easy and I don't like not feeling like myself!

      Delete
  2. I Love Your Spirit! Your such an Inspiration and doing this Publicly is going to Help So Many Women, (but Families as well) Your In My Prayers Daily! Pink Hug's & Kisses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words Trudi and please help spread the word for early detection and self screening! If doctor doesn't want to do it tell them it runs in the family or they hurt...anything that will get the mammogram/ultrasound! If I had to wait until 40 I'd be in a totally different scenario. Thanks for including me in your prayers too :)

      Delete