Saturday, May 31, 2014

One Month Post Chemo Anniversary

Yesterday was my ONE MONTH post chemo anniversary! I did my best to pack as much as I could into the "feel good" weeks between chemo and surgery. The first thing I did was have a blast at the Miles for Moffitt 5K run just 12 days after my last infusion. On race day, I was in better shape than I anticipated and walked 2 out of the 3 miles. My bestie and niece decorated a wheel chair so I got to sit and roll for a mile when my feet started tingling. I felt fine the next day after the race but then the tingling, numbness, and pain kicked in the second day and that sucked. I found that Epsom Salt Baths (super hot) seemed to help with the foot pains. I also found that pampering myself to a parafilm wax pedicure is even better! I had a lot of neuropathy pain after chemo but it's starting to be manageable. It basically feels like my feet are asleep at times, especially in the evening. I also get a feeling as if I'm walking directly on my heel bones along with aches throughout my legs. It was to the point that I dreaded having to get up to just go to the bathroom. It's a horrible feeling and I'm glad that it seems to be getting better. I don't think the tingling ever stops but that is tolerable and you kind of get used to it.

I see that my chemo brain just sent me off on a tangent about neuropathy when I wanted to talk more about the 5K! The Pamela Fights in Pink team raised $5,585.00 for cancer research and we had 44 runners/walkers. It was a great way to give back and celebrate all at the same time and I can't thank everyone enough for all the support. My team was so busy socializing that we almost missed our opportunity to start the race! I just hope everyone had as much fun as I did......and I can't wait to do it again next year.

Last year I started turkey hunting and was bummed that I wouldn't be able to go this year. Well, I decided last minute that it would be a good idea to head up to my cabin in the woods and turkey hunt! I got to share the trip with one of my best friends and even got her to put on camo! I needed the time up there to relax and clear my mind......and turkey hunt. I enjoy sitting in the woods and just taking it all in. I'd really enjoy harvesting a turkey too, but that didn't happen this year so now I'm looking forward to next year already. Although I didn't get a turkey I did get poison ivy which is always pleasant to deal with as if I don't have enough problems! On the upside, I didn't catch any of the funky germs floating around on the airplane. I did wear a mask while traveling even though it draws more attention to my bald self. It was weird at first but after about a minute I really didn't care what people were thinking.
Selma and I in front of what used to be a chimney many years ago

Knowing that I will be in recovery soon for 2-4 weeks, I've really tried to put in more hours at the office. I've been away from work a lot since all this started and it's really hard to keep up. Between all my shenanigans and work I've slacked off on blogging and I kinda feel bad about that! Speaking of shenanigans, my hubby and I will be heading off to Key West for a few days to do absolutely NOTHING and we cannot wait. This is my last Ooh-rah before the big surgery coming up!

I forgot to mention that my hair has started to grow back. But it looks ridiculous!  The day I returned home from my hunting trip I immediately shaved it with clippers because my head looked like a fuzzy tennis ball. The hair was different lengths and colors so it wigged me out. I got some hair soap and root treatment from a store called Lush at the mall so hopefully it does the trick to bring back normal hair. Right now it's a mixture of dark and blonde hair and basically looks like I have pepper on my head.

Much needed Dogo love the days following the 5K.
On a final note, remember that nasty toenail I posted about 2 months ago?  Well, it healed from the infection but then last weekend the nail started turning green! My doctor put me on an anti-fungal for it along with some topical treatment. I was worried this may delay my surgery so last night I soaked my feet and removed the toenail. Nothing like having a big toe with no toenail while in Key West! If cancer has taught me anything, it's taught me to not be so vain and I'm good with that.

Some poison ivy on my arm :/
Selma and I at Fountain Square in Cincinnati

And this is how I fly





No comments:

Post a Comment